IIM Ahmedabad Syllabus At A Glance
The second oldest IIM in the country, which was established in 1961, has come a long way since then. Today, IIM Ahmedabad is consistently ranked amongst top B Schools not only in the country but the entire Asia-Pacific region.
Needless to say it is one of the most coveted B Schools in the country for management aspirants and its astounding placement record has a lot to do with that as well. IIM A graduates are hired by recruiters from all over the world and draw attractive salaries.
Programs offered by IIM Ahmedabad
But of course, it’s not just about the placements. IIM A strengthens its students’ credentials by offering them a cutting-edge learning experience. There are several programs offered by the institute for the benefit of management aspirants.
- Post Graduate Programme in Management (PGP)
- Post Graduate Programme in Food and Agri-Business Management (PGP-FABM)
- Fellow Programme in Management (FPM)
- One Year Post-Graduate Programme in Management for Executives (PGPX)
- ePost Graduate Programme (ePGP)
- Faculty Development Programme (FDP)
- Armed Forces Programme (AFP)
As these names suggest, these programmes and the underlying syllabus vary greatly since they are aimed at diverse target group of students. For instance, the PGP syllabus is more aligned towards full-time students doing the program whereas the ePGP syllabus is designed for working professionals.
Curriculum at a glance
Since the PGP is the most popular program at IIM A, we will look at its curriculum and its hallmark features.
- Firstly, the curriculum is constantly evolving with inputs from faculty members, industry practitioners, alumni and students.
- Foundational, tools and techniques oriented, functional and perspective-building courses are the four types of courses offered by the institute.
- Students can also opt for Elective courses in the second year of their program based on their own specific interests.
Different types of courses
- Regular Courses focus on helping students understand concepts and equip them with tools through classroom discussions.
- Seminar Courses include a certain number of classroom sessions and research to further boost their knowledge.
- Projects including Independent project, project course, course of independent study, and comprehensive project, are designed for students to work on their interest areas.
IIM Syllabus for First Year PGP – Compulsory Subjects
The PGP syllabus contains 34 courses. The first year IIM syllabus is spread over three terms.
- The PGP Syllabus of Term 1 includes Financial Markets, Financial Reporting and Analysis, Human Resource Management-I, Individual Dynamics, Legal Aspects of Business, Managerial Computing, Marketing – I, Microeconomics, Probability and Statistics – I, Probability and Statistics – II, Written Analysis and Communication – I, OB Induction I&II
- The PGP Syllabus of Term 2 includes subjects like Costing and Control Systems, Decision Analysis, Financial Markets, Macroeconomics and Policy, Marketing – II, Human Resource Management-II, Information Systems for Business, Operations Management – II, Interpersonal Group Processes, Personal and Corporate Ethics, and Workshop on Interviews and Presentations
- The PGP Syllabus of Term 3 includes Business, Environment and Society, Business Research Methods, Government Systems and Policy Process, Internet Technology and E-Commerce, Corporate Finance, Marketing – III, Organizational Dynamics, The Social and Cultural Environment of Business, Strategic Management, Written Analysis And Communication II, Flexicore Courses (FC), Manufacturing Operations Management, Service Operations Management, Managing Work Place Dynamics and Employee Collectives, Talent and Competency Management
IIM Syllabus for Second Year PGP
The PGP Syllabus for the second year allows students to customise their courses, according to their own areas of interest. Entrepreneurship is a compulsory course in the second year. The following areas can be studied under the elective courses offered in the second year PGP programme: Business Policy, Personnel & Industrial Relations, Production & Quantitative methods, Agri Management Communications, Economics, Finance & Accounting, Information Systems Marketing, Organizational Groups and Innovations in education, among others.
With its dynamic curriculum, IIM Ahmedabad creates the best platform for students to be best equipped for the challenges of the industry.
Articles you might like: