This week a lot of applicants received notification that they did not get into their choice schools in round one. If you received an interview (especially if you think it went well) and did not get in, you may be wondering what happened. Now is an important time to create the right strategy going forward, which could involve a number of next steps. Whether you apply to a broader set of schools in round two, consider the idea of the daunting round three or figure out how to improve your profile over the next nine months and apply in round one next year, you should make sure to make the right decision for you.
Please use this forum to provide information about your profile and I will give you advice on the best next steps for you. You can also contact me directly if you don’t wish to share all of your details privately by sending a note through this system.
If you want an in-depth and full evaluation, a ding report is a great way for me to review your entire application and tell you what went wrong so you don’t make the same mistakes again!
Below is a list of some of the things that could have potentially gone wrong with your application, but of course every situation is different.
- Essays that did not directly answer the question or focused too much on one element vs. another
- Career plan that either seemed unattainable or did not flow with the rest of your story / experiences
- Low GMAT / GPA for the targeted school
- Letter of recommendation that didn’t quite stand up for you as much as you would have hoped (the bar for LORs is very high)
- Interview that didn’t go as smoothly as you would have hoped
Don’t forget that every year schools accept a lot of applicants who were dinged the previous year so don’t give up hope! Now is the time to make sure you do everything better the next time around.