The Graduate Management Admission Test or the GMAT is a Computer Adaptive Test (CAT) that evaluates skills of students in the field of management. GMAT is accepted in around 1700 universities and organizations. There universities are spread across countries like: Australia, Brazil, Canada, Denmark, France, Germany, Mexico, Singapore, US, etc. Thus, taking GMAT increases the chances of taking admission in a good college internationally.
GMAT test schedule and pattern
The test has 4 sections:
Analytical Writing Assessment (AWA):
One argument is provided in the test. Analysis of the argument is required. Time provided for this section is 30 minutes.
What else you can do inside qs leap ?
This section has 12 questions of data interpretation. Question types include – Table analysis, graphics interpretation, Two-part analysis, multi-source reasoning, etc. Time provided for IR is 30 minutes.
This section of GMAT has questions on problem solving and data sufficiency. It has total 37 questions that have to be completed in 75 minutes.
Verbal section comprises of mainly sentence correction, Critical reasoning and reading comprehension. The 41 questions in this section need to be completed in 75 minutes.
Thus, the total time taken to complete the test is 3 and a half hour t be precise. However, with breaks in between the above-mentioned sections, one should plan the test within 4 hours. The marks are allocated out of 800 through a complex algorithm, which is very difficult to understand. Verbal and Quantitative scores contribute to the total score. AWA and IR do not affect the final score but are taken into consideration by some colleges while comparing the received applications. There is no cut off limit for qualifying GMAT. Admission in a college, through a GMAT score out of 800, is purely taken care of by respective colleges.
Cost of taking the GMAT is $250 therefore one cannot take it lightly. Here are some steps that are to be taken while scheduling the GMAT:
- Register on the website http://www.mba.com/us through email id
- Pay the cost for exam
- Schedule a date for the test. Multiple slots are always available at multiple locations for taking a GMAT test. One just needs to find a date that suits him/her.
- You can take the test again in the following cases:
- Cancel the previous attempt
- Reschedule the test for better preparation
- Re-take the test for better results
In either of the cases, one need to pay the fee as it is not free. It is recommended to practice the 2 full-length GMAT mock tests or practice exams from the GMAT official website. They are available through the free GMAT prep software.
Some important facts regarding the test that should not be ignored are:
- Just after the test is finished, the unofficial scores are visible on the test screen
- This score can be either reported or cancelled as per the wish of the test taker
- One person can give GMAT 5 times in a year
- There should be at least 16 days gap between the first and the second attempt