It’s time to focus on your round 2 MBA applications! Most programs’ deadlines will be in January, which allows you approximately four months to perfect your applications. Many of our clients are well into the process, but here’s an organized application strategy to help avoid any last-minute rushes.
Stay on track with this 4-month plan and save yourself from added stress in the future.
Need a more customized timeline? Personal MBA Coach has a strong track record of guiding clients through their individual circumstances.
What else you can do inside qs leap ?
Month 1 (September):
- Finalize your list of schools:If you have a long list and want to narrow down, read Personal MBA Coach’s free MBA Decision Making Guide! This first step will allow you to maximize your research and demonstrate interest through networking and campus visits.
- Schedule campus visits: Getting a feel for the campus that you could potentially be at for two years is always a good idea, if you can make it work. Schedule those visits now if your geographic position allows but don’t worry about traveling across the country / world as you do not have to visit every school.
- Need to improve your GMAT/GRE score? The clock is ticking, so finalize those plans now to get where you want to be for your target schools. Personal MBA Coach offers customized tutoring in case you need help.
- Did you know that your business school resume differs from your professional one? If not, now is the time to make the necessary customizations to be MBA ready. For more resume help, check out these tips!
Month 2 (October):
- Start your essays. Having trouble getting started? Ask yourself: What is my story and how can I articulate my goals? A clear personal story and well-articulated career goals serve as a basis for a strong essay. Once you emphasize what makes you unique, you can construct a stronger narrative for why an MBA is essential for reaching career success.
- Finalize strong recommenders. If you need help finding people that will best communicate your strengths, you can you read our blog on selecting your recommenders.
- Draft your essays: The sooner you start writing, the more you will be able to perfect them later! We always advise starting essays well ahead of deadlines and finishing at least a few weeks ahead.
Month 3 (November):
- Edit your essays: You will have to go through multiple drafts before you submit, so make sure you have enough time to focus on this step!
- Schedule time to network: Alumni and current students are great resources to learn more about the schools you are applying to. Talking with them will make it easier to craft targeted applications that stand out. While more information about a school is good, make sure to not go overboard with this!
Month 4 (December):
- Fill out your applications: Do not overlook the short answers questions. Make sure to allocate enough time to craft precise and focused answers.
- Check for errors:If you have followed this timeline, you should not have to do any major work in the last weeks before submission. Having a second or third reader can be helpful in catching last minute typos and other small mistakes that you may have missed.
For a more detailed and customized plan, and individualized support with various aspects of the MBA application process such as early planning, school selection, essay editing or interview preparation, visit Personal MBA Coach.
This article has been re-published from Personal MBA Coach’s blog.