Interview, one of the most significant parts of your application, allows Admission to look beyond formal things like GMAT score or GPA, engage and assess one’s personality and suggest whether or you will contribute to university’s academic community. Much like a job interview, it shall show bold how the institution will benefit from taking you on board.
So – like for a job interview – there are some tricks and hints that make a good Admission Interview Preparation. Let us start with simple.
- Rule number One – do not underestimate Interview Prep! Always consider a Prep and train hard, no matter how confident you feel about it in the beginning.
- Remember: interview is very important, and a good one can raise your chances high even with average exam scores, but a bad one will most probably lead to a general fail. So why shouldn’t you invest into a good Interview Prep? Take a professional trainer!
- Even if you do not have a coach in around, take a web-based or Skype trainer. This option may even give better results as you will normally pass your interview via Skype or phone.
- Take your time, but keep in mind that a good single training should take no less than 2 hours.
- Start your Prep with answering regular questions as below. Looks too easy? Let your friend call you, ask these questions and record your answers. Then listen to this mock as if you were admission officer. We guarantee you will wonder!
- Why have you chosen this country to study?
- What are your plans after graduation?
- What attracts you in your chosen major?
- Why have you decided on changing the field in your education?
- What are you the best at?
- What are your main interests?
- What are your strengths?
- What are your weaknesses?
- Who sponsors your education?
- Tell me and achievement you are proud of.
- Do not cram your answers as the interview officer can slightly rephrase a question and get you confused. Instead keep in mind few key ideas which you can use to build the plot for whatever possible question.
- Train answering these questions unless you can do it easily in any sequence and without peeking in your notes.
- Smile while answering questions by phone. Being serious or over concentrated sounds boring and nervous via phone. But when smiling your voice sounds more confident and positive. There’s a simple hint for it: imagine you are talking not to an officer but to an old friend who’s call you’ve been waiting for for a long time. He’s asking questions about your life and you are keen to share with him/her.
These are just basic things one has to consider while preparing for an admission interview. Want to know more? At AcademConsult our coaches can give more hints & tricks and tons of real challenging interview cases. While preparing for an interview with us you will:
What else you can do inside qs leap ?
- Discover how to prepare for interviews and make a great first impression;
- Learn various strategies how to overcome nerves and fear
- Learn how to build confidence and good relations with the interview officer;
- Learn how to answer common interview questions;
- Learn how to respond to behavioral-based questions using the STAR technique;
- Practice interview skills in mock interviews;
- Get tips on how to stand out from other applicants and make the interviewer remember you.
Take more tips from AcademConsult. Ask your queries here.