GRE - Reading Comprehension - Strengthen the argument
Arghya Debnath 5 months ago Reading Comprehension | Adverb | Approach techniques | Argument Building | Argument construction | Argument Evaluation | Comparison Words | Critical Reading | Critical Reasoning | Deciphering relevant information | Logical thinking | Reading Comprehension | Reason Identification | Relationship building | Resolve or explain | Sentence Composition | Sentence types | Strengthen the argument | Synonyms | Vocabulary | Weaken the argument | Word Confusion
i want to take preparetion by myself. how should i start.
QS LEAP provides you with all the resources required to prepare for your test. Below is an outline on how you can go about utilizing the platform to prepare for your exams.
- There are practice tests on your dashboard which provide you with sets of varying difficulty levels which you can give under timed and untimed conditions.
- QS- LEAP conducts free live classes regularly, wherein you learn strategies to solve questions. You also get a chance to interact with our tutors and the community.
- The resources tab has sub-tabs. There are videos on varied topics, while the topic gym provides you with concept notes. The blogs cover topics on prep and application based topics, and then there is the QS rankings of Universities.
- The directory tab gives you all the resources for your application related needs. You can discover universities and programs under the program tab. You can join university groups to interact with the community. You can find out about our tutors and also have a chance to get an admission consulting from experts in the field.
- If you have any queries related to an exam or the platform or your application, you can go to the QNA forum and post your queries there.
- The tutors also provide personalized tutoring sessions wherein you can have a customized class planned according to your needs and areas for improvement.
I hope this helps. Let me know if you need any more information.
Recently an unusually high number of dolphins have been found dead of infectious diseases and most of these have abnormally high tissue concentrations of certain compounds that, even in low concentrations reduce dolphins resistance to infection. The only source of these compounds in the dolphins environment is boat paint. Therefore, since dolphins rid their bodies of the compounds rapidly once exposure ceases, their mortality rate should decline rapidly if such boat paints are banned.
Which of the following, if true, most strengthens the arguement?
A) The level of compounds typically used in boat paints today is lower than they were in boat paints manufactured a decade ago.
B) In high concentrations, the compounds are toxic to many types of marine animals
C) The compounds break down into harmless substances in after a few months of exposure to water or air
D) High tissue levels of the compounds have recently been found in some marine animals, but there is no record of any of those animals dying in unusually large numbers recently
E) The compounds do not leach out of the boat paint if the paint is applied exactly in accordance with the manufacturer's directions.
The passage is concerned with the finding that a large number of dolphins are dying due to an infectious disease. The dolphins that are dying have a high tissue concentration of certain compounds. This particular compound has been found in boat paints. These compounds reduce the dolphins' resistance to infection. The assumption is that, if the exposure to these compounds is stopped, then the dolphins get rid of these compounds from their bodies. This will lead to a drop in the mortality rate of the dolphins. Banning these boat paints may help to achieve this result. This question asks to evaluate what strengthens the argument. To arrive at the right answer, one needs to look out for specific details within the passage.
A) Nowhere in the passage will you find this information of the boat paints using lesser of the harmful compounds, so it is out of scope of the passage.
B) The passage only tells us about dolphins and not about any other marine animal.
C) Correct answer choice. In the last two lines, it is mentioned that the dolphins rid their bodies of the compounds rapidly once exposure ceases. This means that after a certain period of time the pounds do not render any harm. Hence, one can infer that the compounds become harmless after few months of exposure to water.
D) There is no information about other marine animals so one cannot assume that it is only harming the dolphins.
E) This answer choice is out of scope as it may not be necessary that all the painters will imply to the directions and hence the problem will remain.