After preparing rigorously for months, it is time to register for GRE. Before registering, you should have a fair idea of when you will be taking the exam. Registering for GRE takes some time. Hence, take out enough time for this process. Else, you might end up filling wrong detail, which might lead to rejection of application.
Following steps would help you in GRE exam application
Understand all requirements:
Before starting the registration process, do certain amount of prior preparation.
- Read and understand the ETS policies and procedures. Do read everything about scheduling, rescheduling, registration and cancellation on the official website
- Read about policies that are related to specific health problems
- Figure out the mode of test- Online or paper-based. This is subject to availability of mode options available in the country you are applying from
- Understand what kind of ID proofs are accepted in your country
There are four ways by which one can register for GRE:
- Online: Visit the ETS official website and create “MY GRE Account”. Through this account, you can set test date, view scores, reschedule or cancel the exam
- Phone: Call the regional registration center (RRC) at least 2 business days before the day of attempting the exam
- Fax: Ensure the form for this process is received 7 days prior to the chosen test date. Confirmation on date, place and time of test will be sent via fax, email or mail
- Mail: Fill in the details of International Test Scheduling Form and send to RRC with payment. Form must be received at least 3 weeks prior to the test date
If you are applying online, below are the steps you must follow to make it easy for yourself:
- Decide the test date and time: Consider the number of days needed for preparation and deadline for applying to colleges through GRE scores. Choose a time slot depending on when your productivity and concentration is maximum during a day
- Select the test provider: Here, you need to choose a test provider from a list of providers. Most preferred provider is Prometric.
- Select test city: You need to choose the country and city where you wish to give the test. On selecting the city, you will be provided with centers in and around the chosen city.
- Choose the date: After selecting a city, updated information regarding the availability of time slots is made visible. Slot availability varies because many centers are not open on all days and some slots might have been taken already. In case you want a specific date, check back after a day or so because if someone cancels his/her registration, you might get the preferred slot.
- Payment: You can choose JCB®, MasterCard®, American Express®, Discover®, VISA® debit/credit card or voucher number for payment. Do collect the receipt. The Cost is $195 with $50 extra for rescheduling the test.
If you do not want to be late for the exam and want to have enough time in hand for preparation, start the registration process early. Keep enough time for preparation.
Wondering about GRE Scholarships? Here are the things you should know.