More than 600,000 students all over the world take the standardized test conducted by Education Testing Service (ETS) every year. Your GRE scores are accepted by all the top colleges in the US for their Master’s level programs.
The GRE has also evolved and grown with times. More than 300 management schools accept your GRE score for admissions. Today, the GRE revised General test can be taken any time of the year by getting an appointment with the nearest exam center.
Practically anyone can take the test; ETS has no pre-requisites regarding age, qualifications and timing. The only eligibility requirement would be a document to prove your identity.
ETS announces its GRE dates way in advance. It’s advisable to keep track of them because it can be tricky to get an appointment at your chosen exam center, during the peak season – between August and December.
Nature of test and list of centers
- GRE Test is conducted in Computer delivered and Paper delivered formats. The Computer delivered GRE revised General Test is offered all year round at Prometric test centers on first come, first serve basis. The paper-delivered tests on the other hand are conducted on specific dates at certain centers.
- A list of centers for the Paper-Delivered General and Subject tests can be found at http://www.ets.org/s/gre/pdf/gre_pbt_center_lists.pdf. It makes sense to choose the center based on the dates and of course geographical convenience.
- To register for the test, you need to create your My GRE account and get started.
Analytical Writing, Verbal Reasoning and Quantitative reasoning are the three important elements of the GRE. The good news – they are not related to any specific subject. However they do test the skills you have gained over the years.
GRE Test Cost:
- ETS charges $195 for registration for GRE test. But it is also willing to be flexible on the fees if applicants are able to prove financial hardships.
- You have to be careful when choosing the exam center or the date for the test. Any kind of rescheduling or change of center can cost you $50.
- While you can take the GRE as many times as you want to boost your scores, the registration costs can be a deterrent for candidates.
Hence it makes sense to be best prepared for your test before applying for it. GRE prep courses and reliable mock tests will equip you with skills and practice to ace the all important entrance.
Planning to take the GRE? Access free test preparation.